A famous saying goes like this, “The climb is tough, but the view from the top is worth it.” Why are we talking about the view here? That is because we are going to help you understand how to become a top brand in this competitive market and enjoy all the privileges of being on the top. Yes, we are talking about brand differentiation.
There is all too crowded at the bottom but there is always space at the top. You just need to know how to own that space and more importantly stay there. Brand differentiation can help you achieve both of these objectives.
What is brand differentiation?
Brand differentiation is about setting your brand apart from others by constantly offering multiple customer benefits and display consistent superior performance. Every brand aspect is critical when it comes to standing out from others. The competition is thick and you have to put your best foot forward if you want to leave a positive footprint behind in your journey with the consumers.
Everything from the brand story, presentation, emotional brand triggers, customer experience, and all physical and virtual characteristics play an important role in portraying your brand as superior to others. Your brand differentiating strategy should clearly reflect your brand values and vision along with a unique value proposition that sets you apart from others.
How to differentiate your brand?
Brand differentiation is an ongoing process and it builds as one moves ahead in the journey of branding. Some of the ways you can ensure you stand out from the crowd are:
Innovation: Have a product that is truly innovative. For instance, Google maps was an Australian invention in 2003 by the name of Expedition later bought by Google and renamed as Google Maps. There is hardly any company which can come close to what the Google Maps offer. Here the innovation itself becomes the key differentiator.
- Convenience: There is so much marketing clutter around and yet so little convenience is offered to customers when it comes to buying or interacting with the brands. If you can give that convenience of engaging seamlessly with the brands through chatbots or social media or call centres then the customers will surely appreciate the effort and remember it too.
- Customer service: Similarly, customer service is a key differentiator especially in the service industry. Pleasant brand experience with superior customer service is hard to forget. It creates a positive perception of the company in the minds of the customers.
- Compelling brand story: Marketing is all about storytelling. Do you have a story you want to tell your customers? If yes then you have got the right strategy to touch the right emotional and logical chords of your customers. Tell them what makes you different from others in a way they cannot forget. Use the right means to tell your story. Videos, for example, are the most preferred way of creating awareness and communicating your story to your customers.
- Problem-solving: Does your product solve a problem? Is it addressing a pressing need of your consumer? If yes, then half the battle is won.
- Emotional appeal: It is extremely important to stir the emotions of your customers through your branding by making sure your brand is registered with him. Subconsciously we choose a brand that has impacted us beyond just our sensory organs. It has to appeal to a consumer emotionally to ensure brand loyalty.
While there are many other ways to differentiate your brands, the key thing to remember is to always have your ears to the ground. Understand the pulse of your target audience and you will surely sail smoothly on this voyage of creating a niche for your brand.